Friday, April 12, 2013

Buckup Cup

I am not one who usually watches golf on television. The most PGA I've ever watched is while at my Dad's house while he was watching it. I LOVE to golf. There is something romantic about the game. The smell of the fresh cut grass. The feeling of a nice summer breeze blowing in your face. Guy time with your best friends over a cold beer and nice cigar at the turn. I would golf everyday if I could. But, I would never watch PGA on television, until now.



I have a crazy group of friends. We are sports nuts. I grew up and with and around most of these guys, and the others just kind of found us. One of these crazy guys I grew up around is Buck. Buck is the quintessential sports guy. Buck is a die hard Detroit Red Wings fan. I would guess that I've seen him in Red Wings gear more often than I've seen him wear "regular" clothes. Buck also loves the game of golf. His son was a very good golfer in high school. Bucky, Bucks son, went to college to play golf. Bucky graduated with my brother so I've known them both for some time. Buck runs a PGA game called the Buckup Cup. In short, this is a competition where we select 5 golfers for each of the Major events, as well as the Memorial tournament. The player with the most money earned by his 5 selected golfers at each tournament wins the "prestigious" Buckup Cup. I've always heard the guys talk about the Buckup Cup in the past, but as I do not watch the PGA on a regular basis, I never tried my hand at playing, until now.



This season, I've decided to toss my hat in the ring for a chance to hoist the cup. This has created an interesting situation. I've spent the past two days watching the Masters Tournament. I actually care about the outcome now and guess what, I like golf! Shocker, I know, but this boring game is actually exciting to watch. I've golfed with very talented golfers and thought, man they should try to turn pro. After really watching the first two rounds so far, I realize how much better the pros are than anyone I know. PGA golf is awesome to watch. These guys are absolutely amazing. I'm excited about golf again because of the Buckup Cup.



It is amazing how much more you pay attention to something when you have a vested interest in what you are watching. I want, no need, to hoist that cup at the end of the last major this season.

1 comment: